Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Butterfly, Fly Away

I have always loved butterflies. Their beautiful colors and seemingly carefree flight have always brought a smile to my face. As a child I was captivated by the idea that something as ordinary as a caterpillar could transform into a beautiful butterfly. Butterflies give me hope for the wonders God can work in my life. With that in mind, I would like to share a little song about butterflies.

Caterpillar in a tree, how you wonder who you'll be.
Can't go far but you can always dream.
Wish you may and wish you might,
Don't you worry, hold on tight.
I promise you there will come a day—
Butterfly, fly away!

Butterfly, fly away,
Got your wings, now you can't stay.
Take your dreams and make them all come true.
Butterfly, fly away,
You've been waiting for this day.
All along you've known just what to do.
Butterfly, fly away!

This is a simple little song, but it puts a warm glow in my heart because it reminds me what God has in store for me. This song was written about growing up, about finding the potential we dreamed of as children. And yet even as I grow older, I still struggle to put childish limitations behind me. God isn't through with me yet. Someday when this life is over, I will be perfected. Though I will crawl through my life on Earth as a caterpillar, in heaven God will make me a butterfly. One day I will be freed from my limitations and my sinfulness, and then like the carefree butterflies I love, I will fly away.

I like to think that I was born to become this beautiful, perfect soul. Just as God designed caterpillars to become butterflies, I believe that He created me to become more than what I am today. God is constantly working in my heart and helping me to grow into the magnificent destiny He has prepared for me. When the day comes that I am finally freed from all my imperfections, I believe that I will know what to do. My heart will praise God and embrace joy as instinctively as a butterfly flutters away from its empty cocoon. Today I am but a mere reflection of what I will become. Through the grace of Jesus Christ, I was born to be a butterfly.

(Now that you've finished reading this post, I feel safe in telling you that the song I quoted was sung by Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus in the movie Hannah Montana. I figured I'd make my point about what the song means to me before confessing its rather fluffy source.)

No comments:

 
Christian Love Lessons - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger